The Minnesota Wildflowers Information Organization
The Minnesota Wildflowers web site began as a private endeavor by Catherine (Katy) Chayka in 2006, in response to the poor resources available to the general public learning about plants growing wild in Minnesota. The initial web site was launched in March 2007 with approximately 15 species. In 2009 with nearly 300 species published, Peter Dziuk joined as a collaborator, contributing a private collection of approximately 50,000 plant images. The two have been managing the web site together ever since. As of January, 2017, approximately 1300 plant species are profiled with the goal of recording all 2200+ species in Minnesota then branching into neighboring states, becoming a complete reference for the entire Upper Midwest.
In 2011, the decision was made to form a nonprofit entity to provide some security for the web site as a public resource in perpetuity. Minnesota Wildflowers Information (MWI) was incorporated on August 8, 2011. The application for 501(c)(3) public charity status was approved June 29, 2012, allowing tax-deductible donations from the general public and setting the foundation to explore grant opportunities.
The MWI mission is to educate Minnesotans on our native plants, raise awareness on threats like invasive species, and inspire people to explore our great state, appreciate its natural heritage, and become involved in preserving it.
We are available for wildflower walks, PowerPoint presentations, and other public outreach venues. Please contact us if you are interested in a presentation for your club or organization.
- 2016 Annual Report
- 2016 Balance Sheet
- 2016 Statement of Functional Expenses
- 2016 Statement of Operations
- 2016 Form 990EZ
- 2015 Annual Report
- 2015 Balance Sheet
- 2015 Statement of Functional Expenses
- 2015 Statement of Operations
- 2015 Form 990-N
- 2014 Annual Report
- 2014 Balance Sheet
- 2014 Statement of Functional Expenses
- 2014 Statement of Operations
- 2014 Form 990-N
- 2013 Annual Report
- 2013 Balance Sheet
- 2013 Statement of Functional Expenses
- 2013 Statement of Operations
- 2013 Form 990-N
- 2012 Annual Report
- 2012 Balance Sheet
- 2012 Statement of Functional Expenses
- 2012 Statement of Operations
- 2012 Form 990-N
- Form 1023 Application for Exemption and Acceptance Letter
- Articles of Incorporation
- Conflict of Interest Policy
Additional documents available on request.
Board of Directors
- Catherine (Katy) Chayka, President and Board Chair:
webmaster, managing editor, field photographer, botanical researcher
- Peter M. Dziuk, Secretary:
field coordinator, photographer-in-chief, botanical researcher, educational and outreach coordinator and primary presenter
- Victoria Ranua, Treasurer
- John Thayer